Monday, August 2, 2010

Nicol, Azlan Triumph in Double Sweep

Saturday, July 24, 2010

KUALA LUMPUR, (D5 Sports) - It was two for two for Malaysians Nicol David and Mohd Azlan Iskandar after the duo were crowned king and queen respectively in the 2010 CIMB Malaysian Open finals on Saturday.

The duo, who clinched the Malaysian Nationals title respectively last week, brought forward a stellar performance in the Curve, Mutiara Damansara to defeat their opponents, albeit with different scorelines, making it two titles in as many weeks for both players.

Penangite Nicol fought to a 11-6, 6-11, 11-7, 10-12, 11-5 win over England's Jenny Duncalf, while Azlan had it easier, registering a 11-5, 11-6, 11-8 win over Egypt's Tarek Momen in his finals match.

Nicol had it tough in her finals match.

After a difficult match with England's Alison Waters in the semi-finals, the 26-year old had to endure a hard-fought battle with World No 2 Jenny before finally sealing her win.

This is arguably the 26-year old's toughest hurdle in these recent weeks, having to play all five games against Jenny in a span of 72 minutes to earn her sixth consecutive Malaysian Open title.
"It was a hard one," said a tired Nicol. "Jenny was just running around, and I really had to work for this win.

"After losing the fourth game, I knew I had to take control, so I gave it my all at the start to take an early lead. That worked out in my favour," Nicol added, who claimed the RM 26,010 winner's purse.

Jenny, 28, lamented her impatience after managed to pull the tie level 2-2 only for Nicol to surge to the front again.

"I did well to win the fourth, but I rushed a bit in the fifth, and that gave Nicol the chance to take the lead. I'm a little disappointed there. It was unfortunate.

"I reckon I played rather well this time. The last time we met (Cayman Islands Open in April) it was 3-0 to Nicol, so there's an improvement there.

"Now I just need to recollect my thoughts, and prepare for the Australian Open in the next two weeks time," said Jenny.

For Azlan, it is a sweet win over Tarek, for it also gave the Malaysian a hattrick of Malaysian Open titles to his name. The World No 18 player, had no problems staying in control throughout the match, keeping himself ahead most of the time to outpace Tarek in all three games.

"From the scoreline, it looked like a comfortable win, but it is not," quipped the 28-year old Sarawakian. "I had to play it right, and luckily this is my year.

"I am desperate for the win this time, as I was sick last year, which forced me out early. I vowed to win it this time, and I did it," added the proud Malaysian, who pocketed RM 23,122 for his victory.

For Tarek, it was not a great day, as the loss means the World No 23 player's title drought will continue on.

"I felt stiff in the finals, and I failed to play like how I did in the semi-finals. I am disappointed to not win here," said Tarek.

No comments: