Saturday, January 22, 2011

Meeting with Prof Dr Fauzias of UKM after 38 Years (1973-2011)

By: Cucu Hj Mat Amin

Ampang Selangor (14.01.2011): I took LRT from Cahaya Ampang to Chan Sow Lin. Then I changed train to Bandar Tasik Selatan. It was 9 am. When reached BTS I took a shuttle bus to enter UKM Campus. Before that I had asked a man at that station how far was the campus. He said the distance was about 2 km. At first I decided to walk, and then changed my mind to board the bus. In the bus I joined with other students who were also on the way to UKM Campus.

Yes, the distance is about 2 km. But upon reaching the UKM’s gate, then only I realized the distance from one campus to another quite far. Along the road in the campus still covered by the rain forests. Unlike IIUM in Gombak and USM Campus in Penang where the students could walk from one faculty to another. Luckily I boarded the bus; otherwise I would be really exhausted. When reaching the Faculty of Economics and Business a student told me it was. Yeah, it is near the Campus Library. So I dropped there. Straight away I walked into and took lift to 6th Floor to meet the Professor of Finance, Dr Fauzias Mat Nor. When I reached there, the staff told me she was at her room at the 3rd Floor, and she was no more the Dean.

Yes she was there with a Palestinian doctorate student. Ah, I have forgotten his name. Yeah, she was the one that I searched for. Patiently I sat on one of the chairs in her room waiting the student finishing his discussion with Prof Fauzias. In the meantime she gave me her book to read titled Merger and Acquisition.

Before left us, he was asked by her about Masjidil Al-Aqsa. He informed us that, the Palestinians are not permitted to enter the mosque unless they are above 50 years of age. The others could enter the mosque by getting special visas from the Israeli’s authority. To the Palestinians those who are given visas like they are have accepted the Israeli’s authority on the mosque.

Half an hour later it was my turn. We started the conversation with our stories for the past 38 years we that never met, and really have lost contact. She told me she was graduated in PhD in 1991 from a university in Dublin. Prior to that she had obtained her BBA and degrees MBA from universities in Miami Florida, USA.

She had married twice. The first husband was divorced, and the second husband died during their marriage. She gave me some tips to do the doctorate dissertation. Among others:

1) What the student really interested in.

2) Do not listen to many opinions and people.

3) The research has not been done before.

4) Get the really expert supervisor (s) in the research field.


5) Once approved by the university; start to focus on the case topic.

6) If can, try to seek for the refereed journals. SSRN.com.

7) Try to present the topic at colloquiums of the university.

8) Underlying theory and underpinning theory are the same.

During our discussion entered a student named Midon, who was also a doctorate student who waited for her for a short discussion after meeting with Dr Adenan who is expert in Organizational Behavior. Then one Associate Professor whose hometown is Kuala Kangsar, Perak also suddenly stood outside the door with a broken voice, just started to recover from the sickness.

After a short discussion with Midon, I continued chat with her. She asked me few questions. The only she remembered about me was both of us were prefects at SMIS, Parit in 1973. I told her that I knew some of her closed relatives in Parit such as Pakcik Latif Hj Mat Adil at the KAMRI Bazaar, Parit. And few of my late father’s relative such the Late Cikgu Abd Rahman Ibrahim, and the Late Hj Abdullah Ibrahim of Kg Baru, Parit. Hj Abdullah was the former Chairman of Majlis Tempatan Parit.

Unaware the time was already 1 pm., and it was Friday. I had to go to mosque for prayer. She sent me there by her daughter’s BMW car. The car that she ordered still not arrived yet. While in the car I told her about our friend, Mr. Ahmad Fauzi Mohamad, the former Head Prefect of our alma mater. He was some where around Shah Alam at a shop doing a business printing. She told me that it is near her place, but never have met. If met might be he would not recognize her any more because she was already ‘old’. Hahaha…

After finished praying, I made my way back. I waited a bus from the campus to go to the Commuter Station. Suddenly a bus numbered 666, arrived, and one student girl told me that I could also boarded the bus to the nearby commuter station. Without wasting time I boarded the bus. Five minutes after travelling I saw the UKM Commuter Station but the bus did not stop. To drop there then was already quite far a distant. So I just continued the journey to Bandar Kajang. When reached Kajang, I took a Rapid Bus which on its way to Pasar Seni Kuala Lumpur. After an hour I saw the bus was travelling along Jalan Pudu, and I saw the LRT station nearby. I just dropped there and waited for the LRT towards Ampang.

When reached Taman Dagang, I took an hour rest at seafood stall. I ordered meehoon-soup and Ice-tea. While waiting for the food (the chef not yet arrived), I re-played the recorder to hear the discussion then.


No comments: